Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I won this book on Facebook from an online acquaintance.   Christi Herbst Paulton had an extra copy and offered it as a give away. I left a comment along with several other people  and my name was selected.  I wanted it to experiment with my tambour hook, not a regular sewing machine.

I am participating in the CQJP2015 project and below is my February "updated" block.  I was not happy with silk flowers on the original (see previous post) so I used the techniques from the book above to make the ribbon flowers.  I am pleased with the way they came out.
I really liked the ideas is the book "Silk Ribbon by Machine"  and plan to use more of the techniques shown on future projects. Thanks again Christi!

This is my March entry for the CQJP2015.  I have never used Shibori ribbon before and I had fun experimenting with with it.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Grow Your Blog Winner 2015

First of all today I want to announce the Winner of the GYB drawing.  I don't have a fancy way of selecting a winner so I printed all the comments and cut them up and pulled one out of hat so to speak!!
The winner is  CatieAn from Catie An & Company.   The gift is a flower pin.  This is a picture of the flowers and leaves.  Assembled each pin is about 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.  I have let her know she is the winner and am waiting for mailing information. 
Thanks to Vicki at @ 2 Bags Fill for throwing the partyand Thanks to all that participated in GYB 2015.  I found some new blogs to follow and have some new followers!! 

I am also participating in the CQJP 2015.  This is my February 8" circle.

The last I checked it was 9 degrees here in New England.  We only have 2 feet of snow but I am all stuffed up and I am going to turn the heat up in my workroom, snuggle on the couch and maybe stitch a little but definitely watch TV!!! 

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Grow Your Blog 2015
Welcome to the Party sponsored by Vicky Boster creator of the Two Bags Full Blog.  
My name is Shirlee Fassell and I am an embroidery "holic"
I have studied many forms of embroidery my entire life but it became a serious addiction when I retired in 1998.   I continued taking class in different types of embroidery and was making my second crazy quilt when I attended my first class at the Ecole Lesage, Paris France , in 2007.   I was literally HOOKed on the tambour technique or as the French call it the Lunéville Hook.
There is a video on my side bar showing the tambour technique.
image from www.woodedhamlet.com
I have incorporated the couture embroidery techniques I am learning in France along with my years of embroidery experience to create my own unique art quilts. I have also been sewing clothing and embroidering it as well as anything else I can get on a frame.
The following is some of my work:
This is a tracing of my left hand.  Pat Winter is making a wall hanging of hands and this is my contribution. 


This is part of my February 8" circle for the CQJP2015 listed on my side bar.
This is a sweater I purchased on sale at AnnTaylor.  I mounted a piece of Sticky Wet N Melt stabilizer on a frame and embroidered a free from design on one side. 

A Jacket I made using a Burda pattern and a vintage felted wool blanket.  I embroidered the collar and cuffs with and an original design using a tambour hook.. 
Flower pins make from metal organza, sequins and beads.  Pattern from Lesage level IV design.
Couture Circle quilt 2012.

If you want more views the items are listed on my sidebar.  
Leave a comment and your name will be put in a drawing to win one of the flower pins shown above.  

Thursday, January 22, 2015

I joined the CQJP2015 to give myself the goal of making a new  quilt/wall hanging this year. 
     This is my January 8" circle. 

I just realized when I took the picture there was a black flower to the right of the square mother of pearl button that is just laying there.  It doesn't belong but I am too lazy to take another picture without it!!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

I joined the CQJP2015 project in an attempt to get back to at least a flavor of crazy quilting in my work. Each month I will make a 8" Crazy quilt circle using a mother of pearl button as a focal point. 

I have been watching  Gerry Krueger's blog and have been inspired watching her as she made her 8"squares and assembled her materials for CQJP2015 .  
I love this suitcase that a friend gave me.  She took it to college with her in 1962. I like to use it when I start a project to keep all the fabrics I think I might use together.  

I also gathered "some"  laces, trims, and of course feathers etc to have on hand.

I love crazy quilting but I love tambour work more.  My background will be black organza that I will layer with other fabrics and laces.
I have not shown you the sequins and beads that are overflowing their respective containers.

I have been experimenting and trying to get the CQ feel.

Have to wait until later in January for before the unveiling the first Circle of 2015.
Hoping you all had a wonderful Holiday and wishing you all a very Happy New Year!!

Thursday, December 18, 2014

I love to buy patterns for embellishing clothes.  I found this pattern on Etsy and had a cardigan I wanted to experiment on.

I simplified the design and only embellished the front of the sweater. (Sorry I didn't take a before unembellished sweater picture.)
The buttons were rather drab so I added a large drop bead that fits the button hole.
Now I have a new sweater!

Friday, November 28, 2014

I finished the evening purse for the Christmas on the Green fair at the First Church of Christ Longmeadow MA.

The Fair is Dec 6 from 9 to 3.  It's a great day.  The fair is not the usual craft  fair.  It is put on by all the people in the church we have a silent auction, vintage home goods, rummage room, book room, children's room, bake sale, Christmas room, picture gallery, luncheon, and of course Santa is there!
Stop by if you are in town!