Monday, April 16, 2018




Still trying to stay off Facebook!
Sadly a lot of the blogs I used to follow no longer post so in my search for new blogs I have found some needlepoint bloggers.  This is the last needlepoint I did.  It was started when I retired in 1998 and finished in 2002 and was my first blog post.  In the years since I discovered many different types of embroidery and no longer do needlepoint. 
This is a hand painted needlepoint canvas of Snow-White running from the wicked queen...


"Now the poor child was all, all alone in the great forest, and so terrified that she stared at all the leaves on the trees and didn't know what to do. She began to run, and ran over the sharp stones and through the thorns, and the wild beasts sprang past her, but they did her no harm."*
The canvas measures 18" by 30" and is 26 count pettipoint.
For many years while still gainfully employed I took needlepoint lessons from a local shop.  The owner had this canvas hand painted for her own personal use.  When she closed the shop I purchased the canvas from her.  
When I was working the canvas and started the animals I went to the local library to get pictures of animals to get some ideas of how to stitch them.  I was in the children's department and came upon this book

*Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs by Randall Jarrell

I opened the book and looked through it and almost fell over when I got to the center fold.
I checked it out of the library renewing it several times before I went on line and bought a copy I could keep.                                                                                                                                         

Love my little turkey-work bunny lower right hand corner. 

Snow-Whites face and neck are done on slips of flesh colored cotton over pieces of cardboard cut to the shape of the face and neck.   A combination of stitches and micro pen were used to delineate the features.   I used a combination of Krenik blending filament and floss to get the sparkly haze above her head and through the trees.                                                                                                              


The animals, leaves, berries, flowers, and pods were done in various embroidery stitches.  Background in basket weave stitch.                                                                                                         




I did leave out a few animals I just couldn't capture to my satisfaction.

I have not blogged about my last project of 2017 Cock-A-Doodle-Doo because it is being featured in the summer issue of Pam Kellogg's Crazy Quilt Magazine.   I also have just finished another project that I can't share right now.  
I have cleaned and sort of organized my "stuff" so it time to find a new project!


7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adaptation of the illustration you have made.
    I wonder if the picture was licensed for being made into a needlework?
    Seems so coincidental that you stumbled on the book like that! Fated I reckon lol
    I collect children books that have had original textile illustrations made for the stories so your version intrigues me, even though it probably came after the original stories illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did needlepoint years ago too, but nothing on the scale of this! All the wonderful little creatures - you captured them perfectly. Amazing stroke of luck to find the book to accompany your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is piece is incredible and I would love to see it in person.. What a find that wonderful book was... I agree with you about missing my favorite bloggers. Facebook is just not the same and everything just disappears on facebook. But blogging is a lot of work and I often think lately of giving it up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Well worth the time it took you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous! What a surprise to find it in the book.

    ReplyDelete