Friday, November 16, 2012

Progress on my new project!!
 I am calling it "My Ravel".  When I first applied to Ecole Lesage I want to do a piece called Ravel.  It is fashioned after French 18th century textile prints inspired by Persian design.  That's when I discovered the Level thing at Lesage. The Ravel piece is Level 7 and I had to start at 1!!  I will never get to 7 so I am doing my own Ravel inspired wall hanging.  It will be about 36" wide and 45" or so Long.  There will be 3 panels one lace over turquoise Lamé, one over purple Lamé, and one over fuchsia Lamé.  Here is the turquoise panel.

The motif will be repeated in each panel in a different size and in
 the panel color.
Stitched the design with beads, black metallic thread, and 
some turquoise organza fringed and placed around the middle square.
Stitched the design with beads and black metallic thread.
I took fuchsia Lamé and stitched the design on it in black metallic thread.  Next I covered it with sheared tulle then copied the design on top of the tulle with thread and put the black flowers in the centers.  The tulle is too thick to see the shadow of the design under it.  Next I will have a lighter hand.

This is just a piece of weird ribbon trim tacked over Lamé.

and finally the panel layout.  I am not sure if I like it this way... Too ordered??    Nothing is sewed on yet so I will start the next panel and see what happens!!

Happy Thanks Turkey day!!

Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Ravel

I have been working on my new project.  A smaller wall hanging about 36" wide by 45 or so long.  Tentatively there will be 3 staggered rectangles of lace over lame... one turquoise, one fuchsia, and one purple on a cream embossed satin.  Circles of varying sizes will be cut out of the lace and embroidered ones inserted.  

The motif will be the following design (not quite done).
It will appearing in each rectangle and be in 3 different colors and sizes .

The circles will be flower designs from French 18th century

The first circle I completed is about 7 inches in diameter.
I used raffia and silk ribbon which I ruffled.  I used small green and yellow marquise shaped sew-ons.   I got the sew-ons last year at Tinsel Trader in NYC and have been dying to use them.  I sewed them on with tiny (size 18) beads. 

I used the Tambour hook to apply all the beads, sequins, and the green metallic thread.  I also use it to attach the pinkish  size 15 beads and 3mm sequins vermichelli fashion on the right hand flower.  The stem is chenille.

I was also busy trying to prepair for the big storm... if that is even possible.  
Last year at this time we were without power for 7 days.  No heat, electricity, no stitching and I was whining loudly. 
The destruction that struck the NY, NJ, CT and on into PA and W. Virginia is just astoundingly horrible.  My thoughts and prayers are with those who lost so much and will be suffering for months and years to come.  I count my blessings.